The Canterlot Collective
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Canterlot Collective

Official meeting place of the Brony Brigade

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My Two Cents (semi-rant reviews and thoughts)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shadewing

Shadewing

My Two Cents (semi-rant reviews and thoughts) Empty
PostSubject: My Two Cents (semi-rant reviews and thoughts)   My Two Cents (semi-rant reviews and thoughts) EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Those of you who know me know that I need to voice my opinion. I've decided to write reviews of various episodes of MLP, as well as other things. I'll post them here. Let's start with one of my favorite episodes...

Castle Mane-ia

Okay, let's start with what I don't like about this episode.

>The horrible, unnecessary pun in the title

Yeah, that's all I got. I love this episode. I also love using italics, but that's beside the point.

There are so many throwbacks to old Scooby-Doo cartoons that I felt like I was actually watching  a ponified version of Scooby-Doo for a while. The way the separate groups' actions affect each other (i.e. Rarity scaring Rainbow Dash at about 10:20 in the provided video) is really interesting as well.

A few of the best jokes:

Rarity: I'm starting to wonder if maybe this castle doesn't want my expertise!

Fluttershy: Oh, goodness! We have to find him. An ancient castle is no place for a bunny. He could get hit by falling debris, or the floor could give out under him! Oh! He could be trapped in a dark place with no way out!
Rarity: [flatly] I can only imagine how that might feel.

Pinkie Pie: Hey, you guys! Did you know I can totally play the organ? Because I didn't!

Pinkie Pie: I followed them inside so I could help you all with your party!
Rarity: What party is that?
Pinkie Pie: Uh, the "everypony come to the scary old castle and hide from each other while I play the organ" party?

And let's not forget the epic cliffhanger! Going off on a tangent, have you noticed how many cliffhangers there have been so far this season? I mean, really! There was one at the end of episodes 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, AND 9! That's SIX cliffhangers in nine episodes! I really hope they tie everything together amazingly in the season finale.

Anyhoo, that's my two cents on Castle Mane-ia. Check back in a few days for my next review.
Back to top Go down
Shadewing

Shadewing

PostSubject: Re: My Two Cents (semi-rant reviews and thoughts)   My Two Cents (semi-rant reviews and thoughts) EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 10:54 pm

What's up, guys? I'm back with another My Two Cents. Today I'm going to review another episode I rather enjoyed...

MMMystery on the Friendship Express

I would normally start with what I don't like about this episode, but there's nothing I particularly dislike.

Being a fan of old movies, I adored the throwbacks to old silent films, 007, and Kill Bill. This also gave a bit of insight as to how Pinkie sees the world.

I also liked how they didn't make it explicitly obvious who actually ate the cake, but rather hinted to in throughout the entire episode. It gave me a small sense of accomplishment when I figured it out before the big reveal.

A few of the best lines:

Pinkie Pie: All that rich creamy goodness of the marzipan, combined with the tart tanginess of the mascarpone, blended perfectly with the smooth, silky sweetness of the meringue. That's why I call the Marzipan Mascarpone Meringue Madness the "MMMM".
{Seriously, just try and tell me that didn't make your mouth water.}

Pinkie Pie: Don't go near that cake, thief!
[galloping]
Pinkie Pie: Stop, thief!
[clang]
Pinkie Pie: Oh, are you okay, thief?

Pinkie Pie: Now we just need to find out who done it.
Twilight Sparkle: You mean, who did it.
Pinkie Pie: Exactly. Who did-done-dood it.

Spoilers! This quote gives away the ending. Click to view.:

By the way, don't watch this episode just after eating. It'll make you hungry all over again.

That's my two cents on MMMystery on the Friendship Express. Check back in a few days for my next review.
Back to top Go down
Shadewing

Shadewing

PostSubject: Re: My Two Cents (semi-rant reviews and thoughts)   My Two Cents (semi-rant reviews and thoughts) EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 9:31 pm

Sorry for the long delay, but I haven't really been in the mood to write reviews lately. The next one will be coming soon, though. Thanks for your patience!
Back to top Go down
Shadewing

Shadewing

PostSubject: Re: My Two Cents (semi-rant reviews and thoughts)   My Two Cents (semi-rant reviews and thoughts) EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 10:07 pm

Hey, guys, I've got another My Two Cents for you tonight. This time, I'm gonna review...

Apple Family Reunion

Okay, first, the only thing I don't like:

>The song. Ugh. Just... Ugh. Bored Applejack 

Otherwise, this is a good episode. Honestly, the best part is the return of Babs Seed. I'm glad they didn't forget about her after her episode came and went. I find it especially funny that Apple Bloom is more mature than Applejack in this episode.

I'd like to take a moment to say how good the animating team for the show is. I mean, it takes a lot of work to render so many different ponies. Good job, guys. Keep up the good work.  Twilight Smile 

Anyway, here are some of the best lines:

Applejack: You may be a tad old, Granny, but you're as feisty and full of spark as ever–
Granny Smith: Who you callin' old?!

Apple family member: Who are you, little one?
Baby Applejack: I'm Applejack! More apple fwitter?
[ERROR: Heart.exe has stopped working. Press any key to continue.]

Apple Bloom: Babs!
Babs Seed: Cuz!
Apple Bloom: I know it hasn't been that long since we've seen each other, but–
Apple Bloom and Babs Seed: –It felt like forever!

There's not really much else to say about this episode. It kinda speaks for itself.

That's my two cents on Apple Family Reunion. Check back in a few days for the next one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Two Cents (semi-rant reviews and thoughts)   My Two Cents (semi-rant reviews and thoughts) Empty

Back to top Go down

My Two Cents (semi-rant reviews and thoughts)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Canterlot Collective :: Discussions-
Jump to: